Thursday 15 December 2016

Kelly's Review: Jungle Rock by Caroline James

Reviewed by Kelly Spillane

Handsome young chef Zach Docherty is feeling the heat. Following an exposé in a national newspaper, his fiancée Poppy Dunlop has broken their engagement. Heartbroken at the thought of life without Poppy, Zach drowns his sorrows and, when his agent suggests that Zach becomes a contestant in a reality TV show, Jungle Survival, he reluctantly agrees. Plunged deep in the jungle, into a bizarre mix of talent and trials, Zach meets glamour model Cleo Petra, and the cameras go crazy. 

Will Zach survive and be crowned Jungle King? Or will his latest exploits push Poppy further away...

Amazon links: Kindle or Paperback

Caroline James never fails to put a smile on my face and at what is my busiest time of year, with assignments and essays taking up my every thought during the hours that I am awake and even the hours that I'm not, I needed a distraction and this story did the trick brilliantly. I couldn’t have enjoyed this book more, and as it short and sweet I was able to sit down and enjoy this book cover to cover in one sitting. Despite what the very bright, very summery cover suggests, Jungle Rock is the perfect Christmas read and is guaranteed to get the reader in the festive mood.

After being exposed a cheat in a national newspaper, handsome chef Zach has been dumped by his finance, Poppy. Feeling the heat Zach finds himself being talked into becoming a contestant on a reality TV show, which sees celebrities spending a few weeks living in an Australian Jungle, by his agent. Reluctantly Zach agrees and finds himself taking part in Jungle Survival. Deep in the jungle Zach takes part in a variety of crazy games and trials, he wonders if he has made the right decision by taking part in this show. Soon the sparks begin to fly between Zach and glamour model, Cleo Petra, giving the couple lots of camera time. But are Zach's jungle escapades driving Poppy further and further away or will they help him win her back and maybe even become King of the Jungle at the same time?

This book is based on the hit reality T.V. show "I'm a Celebrity....Get me out of here" and as I am a huge fan of the show and haven't missed as much as one episode in the past six years (thank you sky plus) this book was right up my street. In saying that, you don’t have to be a fan of the show to enjoy this novella as it very much stands on its own two feet and is able to carry itself well.

I've seen online that if you have read some of the authors other books then you may recognise some of the characters. I must hold my hands up and say that I have these particular books, but any book that I have read by Caroline James so far I have enjoyed immensely and I am always happy to pick one up and spend some time with it.

The characters in Jungle Rock are all very well written and brilliantly developed and even though some have featured in the authors previous books, I didn’t feel as if I had missed anything and I was able to just join in and enjoy the story that I was reading. This novella also didn't give away any big secrets as to what has happened in previous books so I can still go back and enjoy these at a later date. The book moved through the days at a quick pace making this novella a light enjoyable read.

Jungle Rock is such a feel good novella that really packs a punch. There is such a happy go lucky feeling accompanying this story and it really does put you in a sunny mood. Bearing this in mind, Jungle Rock is the perfect read for these long, dark, dreary winter nights. I really enjoyed everything about this book and I can’t recommend it enough.

1 comment:

  1. Huge thanks to Sharon and Kelly for this lovely review, am so thrilled that Kelly enjoyed Jungle Rock. Warmest wishes, Caroline xx

    ReplyDelete